COUNCIL OF AFRICAN AMERICAN PARENTS (CAAP)
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD PROGRAM
Serving the San Gabriel Valley, Pomona Valley, and Inland Empire
To recognize outstanding high school students attending schools or residing in neighborhoods which CAAP serves, who have achieved success through academic achievement, participation in extracurricular activities, made significant contributions in the area of community service, or any combination thereof.
Successful candidates must be a Black/African American graduating senior affiliated with CAAP through programming and/or volunteerism, and possess a minimum GPA of 2.50. He or she must exemplify CAAP’s educational, social, and cultural values through participation and/or achievement in related activities. Candidates must be planning to further his or her education, training and development at an accredited institution of higher learning, including community college, vocational or trade school, college, or university.
- The CAAP Scholarship Award Program is a rigorous and competitive program. Please keep this in mind when filling out application materials. Applicants must submit a completed application form and ALL requested information by: Friday, April 29th, 2016
- DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE
(NO EXCEPTIONS! All incomplete packages will be immediately removed from scholarship consideration and the scholarship committee will not contact you for missing information. Please check and double check your application for accuracy and completion)
The following must be enclosed with the application (*except item #6, which is due by June 3rd, 2016).
- Sealed Official High School Transcript verifying cumulative GPA.
- Two signed recommendations from a teacher, guidance counselor, or other school administrator identifying positive student qualities and contributions to the school. Areas may include leadership, extracurricular activities and community service.
- Proof of acceptance to a college, university, community college, vocational, or trade school.
- A personal reference or a recommendation from a church or community service organization describing your contributions.
- A two-page essay, typed, double-spaced, addressing the following:
- Your goals post high school;
- How achieving your goals will help prepare you for the future;
- How your education will be used to improve your community and society.
- ** Must submit Proof of Registration to college, university, community college, vocational, or trade school, which may include (but not limited to) a copy of:
- Online or school supplied receipt or confirmation of paid registration tuition and/or fees
- Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) (from University of California schools)
- Cancelled check showing paid registration tuition and/or fees
Proof of Registration may be mailed to the CAAP offices by June 3rd, 2016.
- Applications will be assessed for neatness, thoroughness, rigor, essay (creativity, mechanics, grammar, etc.). For full consideration, applications and additional requested information must be postmarked by Friday, April 29th, 2016 and mailed to:
The Council of African American Parents
23535 Palomino Drive #243
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Attention: Dr. Raquel M. Rall, Scholarship Chairperson
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered under any circumstances.
Applications must be postmarked by
Friday, April 29th, 2016
- Scholarship Recipients will be notified via letter, telephone, and/or email by Friday, May 20th, 2016. Due to the amount of applications, no notifications will be provided for those applicants who are not awarded a scholarship.
- Scholarship Recipients will be recognized at their respective school’s awards ceremony.
- Scholarship Recipients will also be recognized at the Council of African American Parents Annual Student Recognition Luncheon, which is held on Sunday, June 5, 2016.
- Scholarship checks will be disbursed upon proof of enrollment at a four-year College and/or University.
- Attendance at the Council of African American Parents Annual Student Recognition Luncheon is MANDATORY in order to receive your award.
For additional information, contact:
Dr. Raquel M. Rall at [email protected]
ONLINE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION